Sunday, June 24, 2007

Museum Of Terror (Tomie 1)

I didn't know that I liked Japanese anime, particularly the genre of terror. Since the day I saw Ghost in the Shell, I knew that I had the potential to become a fan. A couple of weeks ago I was in Harvard Bookshop, in the used books section, where I found a lot of anime books at a good price. One was "Tomie". When I read the first dialog something said to me "this book is for you". The sentence was: "My friend Tomie is dead... pieces of her body were found scattered everywhere..."

I couldn't stop reading the nine stories. All were good, but the ones I liked most were "Photo" and "Painter", with its sarcastic humor.

I recommend Museum of Terror you. It's easy to read while on public transport, it's fun to read in reverse (as a comic book translated from the Japanese, its panels are viewed and read right to left, top to bottom), and it's excellent English practice because the characters speak colloquially.

I am very anxious to read more books like this. I don't know why I didn't buy more. If you have a book like this one, we can trade. ;)

No comments: