Monday, November 05, 2007

Introducción a la literatura norteamericana

Introducción a la literatura norteamericana by Jorge Luis Borges. Emecé.

A review of Northamerican literature, up to 1970 or so. Borges mentions several authors that I haven’t read and probably should.

I wonder if this book was ever translated into English.

The book has lots of errors; many English words and placenames are misspelt. I like to think the errors are due to the editor or publisher, not Borges, who learned English in his childhood and presumably wouldn’t have made such mistakes. I made a list of all the errors I noticed, and plan to send Emecé mail. Pedantic mail.

The chapter on Native American literature seems a bit forced. Political correctness in Borges - who’d have guessed? But then again, I usually take a dim view towards poetry. And it’s not all political correctness; Borges calls the Indians los pieles rojas (redskins).

Not the greatest of Borges’ works by any stretch, but it was quite cheap at the Gandhi in Querétaro. And more Borges of course looks good on the bookshelf.

No comments: